Senior Back-End Java Developer
Our client, a leading financial institution is seeking a Senior Backend Java Developer to join their highly skilled and dynamic Mobile Solutions team in Toronto, ON.
The Senior Java Developer will design and develop complex backend Java components as part of the development team. The incumbent will create shippable code early, and often, based on end user needs and feedback.
Collaborating with team members, business sponsors and the product owner, they utilize Agile best practices to build technology solutions in line with product vision.
Iteratively design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and enhance high quality software solutions
- Create robust, high volume applications that are highly scalable and extensible
- Participate as technical consultant in design, development, coding, testing, and debugging of new / packaged solutions or significant enhancements to existing applications to deliver the best possible application performance
- Contribute clear and maintainable code to a shared codebase
- Proactively design, prototype, and strategize solutions to propose to the team / product owner/ business sponsor to drive improved technology solutions that support business strategy
- Participate in estimating, tasking, status and stand-up meetings
- Adopt / evolve team development practices such as coding standards, formal refactoring techniques, automated testing, continuous integration, etc.
- Partner with, welcome input and provide feedback to team members / business sponsors / testers / product owner in order to deliver optimal solutions and build in a continuous improvement mindset
- Collective ownership of project delivery
Provide technical leadership and subject matter expertise to fellow team members and stakeholders across business and technical project dimensions:
- Provides thought-leadership to fellow team members and stakeholders across business and technical project dimensions solving complex programming issues
- Research and recommend enhancements to the strategic technology evolution of the product based on new and emerging technologies and industry best practices
- Actively inform and provide recommendations on technology roadmaps, team development standards, system architecture / integration, data modelling, testing, etc.
- Act as coach and mentor to junior development staff
- Contribute to building organizational capability and expertise on Agile, sharing findings, best practices, and resources, and acting as a champion of the Agile methodology
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent education/experience
- Masters Degree in relevant field considered an asset
- Minimum 5 years related work experience
- Experience working in an agile environment an asset
- Consistently demonstrates great level of collaboration within team and across the organization, working consultatively and influencing change
- Acute attention to detail
- Flexible and open, able to work in a highly collaborative and changing environment
- Maintains current technology skills and knowledge of industry trends across multiple disciplines
and a passion for continued learning and acquisition of new skills